3 Tips for Healthy, Painless Travel
The traffic and travel delays around the holidays can be brutal, meaning longer travel times, more time sitting in cramped spaces, and more tension and discomfort for you. Do not fear, Tristan is here! And I’m sharing with you the easiest precautionary measures and quick fixes for the most common travel-related ailments.
Tip 1: Quench Your Thirst
Staying properly hydrated is essential for what seems like countless reasons. One reason that is maybe not as intuitive is that having enough water in your system will actually help your joints stay lubricated and help you avoid inflammation and stiffness. This will naturally help you feel less creaky and squeaky when you hop out of the car or off the plane.
Tip 2: Soothe Your Skin
You all know that the air on a plane is drier than a stale rice cake. Drinking enough water will ensure that your skin stays luminous and doesn’t risk drying out, especially if you are headed to a colder climate. One practice that people often get confused about though is how to properly hydrate your skin on a flight.
I sometimes see people spritzing their faces - I love a good face mist, but please save it for when you get off the plane! Water sitting on your face will be evaporated by the dry air, and will take even more moisture from your skin along with it. Full disclosure I am not exactly a scientist, I’m trained in physical therapy, but this is how evaporation works, my friends!
Try instead to get a good layer or two of something super hydrating on your face, neck, even your hands. Opt for a non-greasy oil, serum, or super thick moisturizing cream or mask that smells nice and soothing for your flight. This will leave you feeling dewy and much less prone to breakouts. You’ll safely avoid disembarking with dry, itchy, irritated skin.
Tip 3: Flawless Flexing
Are your hips tight, stiff, creaky, or sore from a long car ride or sitting on a plane? In addition to hydrating properly (not with airline wine, I’m talking w-a-t-e-r) here are some simple mobility tips to maintain fluidity in your joints, and get your muscles flexing flawlessly:
- Take a spin around the plane, strut your stuff down the aisle, just get your muscles moving for a few minutes and out of whatever cramped seated position you’ve been forced into. Stretch your arms a bit if you are able. This will prevent your joints from locking into an uncomfortable position, potentially leaving you achy.
- Stretch your neck to the right, hold for 10-20 seconds and repeat on the left side. Even the simplest stretching and basic movement can help avoid getting those annoying cramps in your neck.
- As soon as you get out of the car or off the plane, take a few minutes to stretch or return some movement to wherever feels tight. Do some simple calf raises, shake out your ankles, reach your hands above your head, reach for your toes and hold for a bit - anything to wake up some of those sleepy muscles.
- When you’ve reached your final destination, give this YUM YUM HIP MOBILITY flow a try to immediately feel relief from stiffness and tension in your hips. I promise it will set you up for a relaxing holiday, no matter where you are!
For my frequent travelers, I have the perfect solution to keep you pain + stiffness free during your journey...It's called Desk Yoga for the Corporate Crusader.
The great thing about this course is it's short and sweet, targets every area of your body, and you can do it right in a chair while you're waiting on your flight.
- Physical Therapy-Based Yoga Moves and Stretches, specifically created for those who sit for long periods, that work immediately to release commonly stiff, tight muscles that can cause joint strain, muscle pain, and headaches.
- Powerful Yoga Prehab® Pain Prevention Techniques that are easy-to-apply throughout your day to stop pain + stiffness before it starts.
- Stress-Busting Breath Techniques that are scientifically proven to melt away stress, clear your mind, detoxify your body and more!
- Full Body Detox: Each session recalibrates your body to do something incredible:
- Reverse cortisol release (your weight gain hormone).
- Relieve your tissues and cells from toxic build-up and excess compression.
- Reinvigorate your lymphatic flow and decrease inflammation.
- Naturally support your body’s ability to get rid of old, stuck, stale gunk.
I’d love to know what other Holiday Health Hacks you guys rely on to get you through the season! Don’t be a stranger, tell me what you cannot live without this month!
JOIN MOVEMENT MONDAYS !
You'll receive to your inbox a new free stretch or strengthening exercise to focus on each week to stay moving and pain-free for a lifetime!
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.