Soothing Self-Massage for Shoulder Pain
Sore shoulders make me want to run and get a massage more than anything else! Tightness spreading across your shoulders, feeling knots (AKA “adhesions”) - not fun for anyone at any time.
But, not everyone can just hop over to a brilliant massage therapist as we please (sad, but true). So, what is the best option to work through shoulder pain and get relief from aches and pains?
Thankfully, there are some great options for shoulder pain remedies that you can do in the comfort of your own home. I actually developed an entire course based around self-massage techniques (check out Issues In Your Tissues if you’re interested in even more amazingly easy home massage methods) and have included the entire shoulder myofascial self-massage section right here for you!
Myofascial you say? Sounds...complex and otherworldly?
I promise you, it is a very simple concept that has been proven to work wonders in maintaining muscular health and wellness. Myofascial release is a form of therapy used to treat skeletal muscle immobility and pain. The treatment works by relaxing contracted muscles, improving blood and lymphatic circulation, and stimulating the stretch reflex in muscles and muscle groups.
And while myofascial release and therapy are used in Physical Therapy offices around the globe, there are luckily a lot of myofascial techniques that you can do right at home, starting with this one. Designed to help you release shoulder tension and overcome pain, this self-massage is easy and requires zero props or tools. Perfection!
Give it a try right now and soothe those shoulders!
- Stiff, tight or painful upper shoulder musculature.
- Can help to decrease adhesions (“knots”) in the upper shoulders.
- May decrease upper shoulder pain and discomfort.
- Before and after workouts or sports activities.
- After prolonged sitting, frequent overhead reaching, or holding the neck in one position for a long period of time or very frequently.
- Can be used every other day. You want the tissues to rest a day in between.
- Can be performed lying down (more pressure) or against a wall (less pressure).
- Apply deep, SLOW pressure. (It’s going to be very tender!)
- Can be applied for up to 5 minutes at a time.
- Back off on pressure if too tender or uncomfortable (it will start off this way until the tissues are used to it!)
- If you experience tingling, burning, or sharp shooting pain, please discontinue. I advise you to seek evaluation from a healthcare provider should you experience these symptoms.
Want More Techniques for Quickly Relieving Body Pain?
Check out my course, ISSUES IN YOUR TISSUES, kinesiology taping and self-myofascial release.
- 30+ Instructional Videos and Written Instructions.
- Self-Assisted Massage and Kinesiology Taping Techniques for your: Feet, Ankles, Shins, Knees, Hamstrings, Quadriceps, Hips, Your Entire Back and Neck, Shoulders, and Wrists.
- Learn techniques you can directly apply to support issues with:
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Weak Ankles
- Achilles Tendinitis
- Shin Splints
- Knee Pain and
- Patellar Tendinitis
- Piriformis Syndrome
- Hip Flexor Pain
- Low and Mid Back Pain
- Neck Pain and Upper
- Shoulder Pain
- Poor Posture and Poor
- Core Support
- Shoulder Joint Pain
- Weak Wrists, Wrist Pain, and Carpel Tunnel.
DISCLAIMER: Please consult with your physician before beginning any exercise program. Content provided above is not meant to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease, injury, or other medical issues. By participating in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Yoga with Tristan, Tristan Gatto, his heirs, beneficiaries, associations and partnerships from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of Yoga with Tristan’s negligence.
Free 25 Minute Mini-Masterclass: Heal Back Pain Through Your Toes
Dive into in-depth tailored tutorials that enhance toe strength and mobility, promoting balance, optimizing foot action, and reducing stiffness in your knees, hips, and lower back.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.